Shawn E. Cantley
Shawn Cantley is an attorney and entrepreneur based in Louisville, Kentucky. He is a founding member of Bahe Cook Cantley & Nefzger PLC. During his legal career, Mr. Cantley's practice has focused primarily on health care law and product liability.
LEGAL BACKGROUND & PRACTICE
Mr. Cantley began his legal career as a litigation associate at Stites & Harbison PLLC, one of the largest defense firms for corporations, physicians, and insurance companies in the Southeast. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Cantley was an insurance claims adjuster and a District Director for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (in addition to years of waiting tables).
Mr. Cantley earned his Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from the Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville, graduating with honors. While in law school, he made Law Review and was later selected as Senior Editor of the Law Review. Mr. Cantley also has a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in National Security Studies from California State University, San Bernardino and a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree from Cal State Fullerton.
A KNOWLEGDABLE LEGAL PARTNER
Shawn Cantley is one of a select number of Kentucky attorneys to have been elected by his colleagues to serve on the Board of Governors of the Kentucky Justice Association (also known as the Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys). He serves on several civic organizations and is a past member of the Publications Committee of the Kentucky Bar Association. Prof. Cantley also served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Louisville School of Law, teaching Civil Litigation Skills to senior law students with his wife and law partner, Vanessa Cantley.
- Juris Doctor, the Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville
- Graduated with honors
- Senior Editor of the Law Review
- Master of Arts in National Security Studies, California State University, San Bernardino
- Bachelor of Arts, Cal State Fullerton.
- Psychotherapist-Patient Privilege in Kentucky Personal Injury Cases, The Advocate (the publication of the Kentucky Justice Association) (March/April 2009)
- Product Liability Desk Reference: A Fifty State Compendium (Aspen, 2003) (Contributing Editor, chapter on Kentucky law)
- Hydrocarbons, Geopolitics & the Law in the Caspian Basin, Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 42, Issue 3 (2002)
- Every Dogma Has Its Day-Cancerphobia Precedent in Fear of AIDS Cases, 40 Brandeis L.J. 535 (2001)
He is also a frequent contributor to the Kentucky Injury Lawyer Blog (www.kentuckyinjurylawyerblog.com), updating the public and his colleagues on Kentucky and Indiana law, potentially dangerous products, and preventable injuries.
JURISDICTIONS ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Kentucky Bar
- Louisville Bar
- Western District of Kentucky
- Eastern District of Kentucky