How to Respond to a Vehicle Accident in the Absence of Police Presence

William NefzgerNews

In normal times, when a car or truck collision occurs, the individuals involved call the police, an officer responds, comes to the scene, investigates and makes a report. One of the many effects the COVID-19 pandemic has wrought upon us is a reduced response by police to car and truck wrecks. This can create a problem because the police report they generate almost universally establishes fault, which, in turn, guides insurance companies in their decisions on claims arising out of such incidents. Thus, if the police do not respond to a crash, individuals will lose that vital piece of information if and when they attempt to make a claim for damage to their vehicle or themselves.

How to Document a Collision

If faced with this situation, a person involved in a crash, if able, will have to take on the role of chief investigator. Of course, this may not always be possible due to injuries sustained. Here is a list of things you should do, in no particular order, to document a collision if police do not respond:

  • Get names and contact information of any and all witnesses.
  • Take audio or video recorded statements of any and all participants and witnesses, including yourself.
  • Take pictures or video of the vehicles involved and the scene in general.
  • Contact your insurance company.
  • Complete and file a Civilian Traffic Collision Report.
  • Contact an attorney.

Succeed With Legal Representation

The most important thing to remember is that independent witnesses or information will likely be the deciding factor in an insurance company’s decision to accept or deny fault for an accident. The attorneys at Bahe Cook Cantley & Nefzger handle these types of cases and are ready to advise and represent individuals making claims as a result of car and truck wrecks throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Start Your Free Consultation

If you find yourself navigating an insurance claim following a collision for which no police report was filed, it is important that you seek legal counsel right away. You can trust the attorneys at Bahe Cook Cantly & Nefzger to advocate on your behalf. Contact us for a free, confidential consultation at (502) 587-2002.